The Badger Institute is guided by a belief that competitive free markets, free enterprise, limited government, private initiative, and personal responsibility are essential to our way of life. We work to engage and energize Wisconsinites and others in discussions and timely action on key public policy issues critical to the state’s future, growth, and prosperity. The Institute’s research and public education activities are directed to identify and promote public policies in Wisconsin that are fair, accountable, and cost-effective. Through original research and analysis, journalism and advocacy, the Institute’s work focuses on a variety of state and local government issues that have a significant impact on the quality of life and future of the state.
The Director of Communications provides planning and execution of strategic communications, content marketing, public relations, as well as social, digital, and traditional media strategies for Wisconsin’s leading policy organization. The Director is responsible for guiding the organization’s communications strategy, driving our message at the state level, telling our impact story, and shaping the organization’s narrative. The Director collaborates internally with marketing, policy and advocacy staff to achieve the organization’s communications, engagement and storytelling goals and objectives.
- Increase awareness of the Institute and its policy papers, policy briefs, journalism, articles, events, videos, podcasts and op-eds; specifically, increase the visibility of its content across key stakeholder audiences (elected officials, policymakers, donors/supporters, core business leaders, influential citizens, media and associations with an interest in public policy).
- Identify areas of opportunity in existing communication channels and maintain brand integrity across all platforms.
- Tell the Institute’s story and advance the organization’s reputation and impact as a state-level thought-leader.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage.
- Prioritize and pitch opportunities to the media including opinion editorials, press releases, marketing collateral, presentations.
- Help oversee email marketing campaigns; build effective target audiences and segments for every message.
- Outreach and coalition-building among key stakeholders and like-minded organizations.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, political science or other relevant area of study.
- Proven experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities. Outstanding communication, public speaking, and advocacy skills. Experience and ability to act as the Institute spokesperson, as needed.
- Knowledge and experience with digital marketing, email marketing, social media, and content marketing. Broad understanding of, and willingness to stay abreast of, digital and traditional technologies, applications, and processes.
- Superior writing skills and ability to translate complicated concepts into clear language.
- A detail-oriented approach and the ability to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Ideal experience would include working with elected or appointed officials and/or a background in media/journalism, along with broad knowledge and understanding of state and federal policymaking processes and political environments.
- This position is based in the Badger Institute’s Milwaukee office (not virtual) with the ability to work remotely upon occasion.
- Successful candidates will understand that the Badger Institute is guided by the beliefs of competitive free markets, limited government, private initiative, and personal responsibility. The ideal candidate must be willing to articulate and champion those principles in all communications.
Supervision and Benefits:
Reports to the Executive Vice President
Full-time position, salary determined based on experience, benefits
FLSA status: Exempt
Please email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter to apply.